Thursday, August 30, 2007

Tricks of the Mind and Other Things

It always amazes me how the mind can twist and distort things so that they no longer resemble the original. Something woke me about 2am a couple nights back. Didn't see or hear anything immediately so I started to drift back to sleep. Then I start to realize that I'm hearing what sounds like the slow drum beat you often hear on movies when they want to emphasize the importance of the march they're showing. I force myself to wake up so I can clearly listen to what I hear only to find that it's the dog in her basket sniffing around for what was probably a bone at one time. Of course sleep didn't come for a while after that.

I know that when I was a kid there was always some cool little thing that someone would show us and it was something that we would have to try. The hand games the girls learn..the pencil fights where you try to break the pencil of a partner. The latest thing we have come across now is to lick a pencil top eraser, squeeze it so it has suction and it will stick to virtually anyplace your heart desires. Younger Son had to demonstrate this for me yesterday after he came home from school. At first he simply stuck it to his knee. The next thing I know he has it stuck to his eye lid. Anyone who has had a black eye knows that it doesn't take much to leave a mark on an eyelid. Of course now he has this wonderful little eraser shaped red mark where he had once had his eraser. Thank goodness picture day was on Tuesday so that it wasn't saved by school pictures even though I did get a picture of my own.

No comments: