Wednesday, September 2, 2015

I Don't Even Know Where to Start

I logged into my blog tonight and realized that I haven't posted in 2 1/2 years.  Not that I haven't tried.  I have started a few different posts that never materialized into anything that I could push publish on.  So I delete them and come back again.

Life is life.  It's up and down.  Hectic.  Unpredictable.  Hard. And all of those things make time scarce.  When we moved to Indiana, we downsized considerably.  We got rid of our couch because it had a broken board in it and felt like you were falling through it instead of sitting on it.  We got rid of our computer desk that was falling apart.  Because of this, our computer was literally set up in our living room with the tower sitting on the floor and the monitor sitting on top of it with the keyboard in your lap and the mouse on the arm of the rocking chair.

A pain in the butt.

We don't have a laptop and it's very hard to "text" a blog post from my phone or tablet.  A couple of weeks ago, I decided that I needed to move the computer to the table we have in the dining room that we NEVER use.  I have always hesitated because it's not a dining table but an air hockey table and I knew the minute I moved the computer the kids would holler they wanted to play air hockey.

They haven't.  Knock on wood.  As a matter of fact, they have used the computer more on the table because it is easier to use.  And I was hoping with it easier to get to, I would take the time to use it more, even though I spend all day long looking at a screen at work.

So here I am.  And a lot changes in two years.

Let's just say I don't miss high school drama.

Shane is almost 18, a senior in high school with his license, his own truck and a job.  He is involved with graphics communications and archery at school and love both.  He qualified for the state and national archery tournament last year.  He attended a graphics communication competition in North Carolina last year and his teacher has already tapped him and the girl who went with them to attend again this year.  He's applying for scholarships and I have a meeting tomorrow night about college information.

Krista is almost 17, a junior with her driver's permit, her own car and a job. She is still involved with orchestra and has a long term boyfriend. She is already thinking about her senior year and is already receiving packets from colleges.

Ty is almost 15, a sophomore and jealous of the license/permit, cars and jobs.  He is very involved in marching band at the moment and still plays his violin.  He is also paying attention to his future and changed his schedule around this year to make his next two years a little easier on himself.

I am amazed at how big these kids have gotten (they are all 3 taller than I am).  I am proud of the young adults they are becoming.

So really all I can do at this point is sum up the last two years.  The kids have grown, achieved milestones, and are looking forward to moving out and up on their own two feet.  Chris and I are loving them, guiding them, trying to catch as much time with them as we can while wondering what's gonna happen when everyone moves on. We will graduate a kid each year for the next three years and send them out into the real world.

Does time really have to move so fast?

No comments: