Thursday, May 7, 2009

Who Says Babysitting is Easy?

I was to report to our local courthouse by 9am for jury duty. I was there a few minutes early, as was most of the other prospective jurors, and had to go through the metal detectors in order to get into the courtroom. I had nothing in my pockets, had my wedding rings and anniversary band on, sat my purse down so the officer could glance through the mountains of receipts stored in it, and walked through the detector. And the darn thing went off! The wand set nothing else off so I can only assume that it was the fasteners on my slacks or something in my shoes. Talk about cringing! I was only there for 45 minutes as it was orientation. They handed us our schedule for the month so it starts. Next week will bring something totally different.

Yesterday, a storm blew threw about 4:30am. I awoke to hear a clap of thunder, the kind of thunder that seems to roll on forever. And it felt like forever. Well, Sophie and Gracie don't like storms (neither do the kids for that matter), and they were scratching at the laundry room door, trying to get out. I fussed at them to hush, ended up squirting them with a water bottle to get them away from the door and to lay back down, but by then I was up. Then, I babysat Little Man all day. He and I had a good morning playing, napping and then we joined Bryce for lunch at school. Little Man was mesmerized and couldn't take it all in fast enough. It was chicken nugget day so we enjoyed our lunch and our time with Bryce before I brought Little Man back home. He played a bit more before crashing for another 45 minutes. His mom picked him up a short time later, after the kids had made it home from school and they were playing outside some. We had a late dinner and they went off to bed around 8. Overall, a typical day where I did wash a few loads of clothes but didn't get a single dish washed.

This morning, Little Man was here just after 7. He was still sleepy and grouchy which made for a tough morning for him. He didn't want me to leave the room unless he was with me. He didn't want me to put him on the floor to play. I carried him around while I made him a couple of scrambled eggs for breakfast and then brought him to the living room to eat them. He was more than willing to stand on the floor while eating. Then I changed him out of his pjs and we went off to Wal-Mart where he was a perfect angel. He talked the entire time and not once did he cry. Then I brought him home and he bawled because he had eaten the last bite of donut. So I picked him up in my lap and 10 minutes later, he was fast asleep for the next hour and a half. Dad picked him up a little bit ago so I have picked up my living room, cleaned off my desk again, and loaded the dishwasher so that I could have dishes to cook with tonight. Now I'm watching last weeks Grey's Anatomy online so I will be all caught up.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to babysit again, we'll see how that works out, then I am off to Tennessee to pick up Hubby. Then he's off for the next week while he re-shingles our roof. Please remember us next week. I'm going to have to remember to breathe since it will take a couple of days for us to adjust to him being home more than a couple of days. Don't get me wrong, I love my husband with all of my heart, but right now we are more accustomed to living apart during the week than together so it is an adjustment when he's on vacation. Hopefully next week will not be that hard. For now I'm going to finish watching my show, start my dishwasher and put a blanket in the dryer so I can relax.


janjanmom said...

Roofing...on vacation?? Totally not fair.

I never said babysitting was easy. It is the most underpaid job EVAH!

janjanmom said...

Where are you, Shorty Mom??? And I thought I was behind on blogging!! Come back, come back.