Tuesday, April 14, 2009


Yesterday, after feeling like I had been up all night, I decided that I was going to take a nap. Not long after I had gotten to sleep good, I received a phone call from the kids school. I'm sure the person I spoke to was worried about whether or not I was going to remember the conversation, I was that groggy. She was calling to remind me that I had volunteered to help with a COSI exhibition that was scheduled for today and that I was scheduled to work 8-11. I remembered volunteering, but I had turned in the sheet back before spring break so it took me a minute to register what I was being told. So this morning, I put the kids on the bus, ate a bite of breakfast, showered and headed off to the school.

When I arrived, there were a few other parents and grandparents there. The school had set out breakfast for the volunteers in the gym. Since I had already eaten, I opted for oj. Have I ever told you how much I hated school oj in elementary school? My feelings for it haven't really improved. Moving on. The girl/lady who put on the show took the volunteers around through each station, giving us information about the station and how it worked. Then she allowed us to choose which station we wanted to work. The whole show was about weather related things and the first thing the kids saw an assembly where the host showed them information regarding weather and molecules. The kids had a blast. Afterward, each grade came in at different intervals for their hands on learning at the stations. My station was decoding symbols meteorologists use as a shorthand on maps. At 11:30, the school provided lunch for the volunteers, regardless of whether you were staying a full day or a half day. I stayed, had lunch and waited to see if all of the other volunteers showed up for the afternoon shift. When it was time to start again, they were still one volunteer short so I stayed the rest of the afternoon working my station. Let me tell ya, 300+ kids running through a gym (no I didn't work with all of them) is a little unnerving. After that long day, I picked up Brady and Belle (Bryce had tutoring) and went home.

This afternoon I was charged for a bit. Cleaned my bathroom, washed a load of clothes, swept the kitchen, loaded my dishwasher and washed a few pieces that wouldn't fit in it. Then I started supper for the kids. While the oven was heating up, I dozed off for ten minutes on the couch. I've been running ever since. Now I'm ready to crash and I can only hope that being a science volunteer will kick my butt tonight. We'll see. Then I'm going to hope tomorrow is a little less active.


janjanmom said...

Oh Dishwasher, I miss you so much. I cut my hand today on the metal thingy our travel mug fits into. WAHHHH. I'm gonna go read and pretend I'm in another world-one like yours, with a dishwasher.

Ladybird said...

Kudos to you for being a school volunteer! I know that my parents would have to beg parents to volunteer.

I hated the school OJ too....the lemonade was okay though. And I remember being thrilled when we got in junior high and could drink the lemonade/tea from the big jugs. Do you remember that? Not the little paper carton pre-packaged stuff, but the real mixed lemonade in the plastic pour-spout distributor that we drank out of a real glass. Ah, the little milestones in life that amuse us! LOL!

Hope that you got a good nights rest!