Monday, January 19, 2009

It Looks Like Snow

Thursday, Belle stayed home sick from school. She got up with a nasty headache and later complained about an ear ache. So I took her to her pediatrician to rule out an ear infection. She received a diagnosis of upper respiratory infection and was put on antibiotics but no ear infection! She felt better and returned to school on Friday.

Friday was Freaky Friday for the kids strings department. The advanced strings students could have someone come in and take their place for a lesson on their instrument while the kids watched Freaky Friday in another room. I spent an hour and a half learning how to play Mary Had a Little Lamb, Hot Cross Buns and "Cold" Cross Buns. I have to admit, it was not as difficult as I expected it to be, once I learned exactly how to hold the bow. Bryce loved that it was he and I for supper of pizza at the school. He had fun sitting through the concert performed by the parents. Brady and Belle enjoyed time with Hubby as he cared for them (on a couple of hours sleep) while Bryce and I were gone.

Nothing can wear a person out more than having to sit through six different basketball games for your children in one day. Except maybe actually playing in those games. But I didn't just sit through six basketball games. I had to watch three extra games in between games so that my child would be at their game on time. Brady won both of his games and had to have a chat (from me) about controlling his temper during a game. Another player come running up behind him and hit him in the back just after he put up a shot and Brady shot him a wonderful look. Bryce lost his game by one. lousy. point. They played a good game and were so disappointed to lose at the very last minute. It all came down to fouls. If they could've controlled their fouls, they would've dominated the game. Belle won two out of three games. I was so excited to see the last game she played on Saturday. She has really improved on her defense this year. One of the girls on her team came down with the flu this weekend so she was unable to make it to any game. This left Belle with only five players so they didn't have a single sub. These girls played through injuries, exhaustion, and frustrations. The last game, Belle's coach had her guard the point guard the entire game. And she did great! She kept up with this girl, step for step throughout most of the game.

Yesterday was a day for football. We tuned in at noon for the Arizona-Philadelphia game and then watched/listened to the Pittsburgh-Ravens game. Hubby had to leave during the last game and we had to catch part of it on the radio. I was stunned to see Arizona going to the Superbowl. I shall be rooting for the Steelers this year, as I'm not a big Cardinal fan. Can't wait for that game!

Today the kids were out for the holiday. Belle spent last night at our neighbors house with her friend. About 5:30 this morning, I sat straight up in bed. I just knew that someone had just banged on the side of my house. So I sat there listening, peeked out the blinds in my backyard and then got up to look out my living room windows. Nothing. So I went back to bed. A couple of minutes later, I heard the noise again. This time I was awake enough to realize that it was Cheech scratching in his bed. Hubby loved hearing that story. Not long after, Brady got up complaining about a bad dream and Bryce followed shortly after that to put the dogs outside. I dozed off for another half hour before I gave up sleep to the sound of the dogs running up and down the hallway. I finished watching a movie, made a dentist appointment for Belle, and got up. Bryce has been walking around the last couple of weeks saying that he wants to be my sous chef. Today, he helped me make a batch of cookies. He got the egg out of the fridge and dropped it. Then cleaned up the mess without argument. Next he wanted to put flour into the measuring cup. And spilled into my utensils drawer. He cleaned it up without being told including sweeping the floor. The he helped me roll the cookies out and put them in the oven. And throughout every little mishap, every little spill, it rolled off of me and didn't affect me in the least. The fact he cleaned up without being told was a plus. Then he spent the rest of the day insisting that I find kid friendly recipes online so that he could help me make supper. Ahem.

Tonight for supper I cooked. We had popcorn chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, baked beans, and biscuits. While I was mashing the potatoes, I sat the bowl down in a chair so I didn't have to hold it. The cord to the mixer then knocked off a big bowl of flour that I use to bread my chicken. It honestly looked as though snow had drifted across part of my kitchen. Then I cleaned up my mess.

The kids are now in bed. Belle lost a tooth this morning and is waiting for the tooth fairy to make her appearance. She has to be at the dentist office at 10 for a toothache/cavity. We'll see what happens. For now, I'm going to watch Brothers and Sisters that I missed last because I was watching football. How was your weekend?


Ladybird said...

Love the cooking story...especially when you spilled stuff yourself! LOL! Now you are cooking like me.

What an awesome mom you are! There are so many kiddos out there that don't have parents that will tote them everywhere for extra activities....and even participate. Big kudos to you for being a great mom! I love the stories!

Jennifer said...

Oh I FEEL your pain about the basketball games!! I hate bleacher butt, or that pain you get in your rear end after it has been glued to a cold metal bleacher for a couple hours in a row!!

janjanmom said...

You pegged the snow!!
I try to patiently allow my children to cook with me often. It does pay off, eventually the kids can REALLY help with cooking.